Scotstown (@1.2) vs Truagh (@4.5)

Our Prediction:

Scotstown will win

Scotstown – Truagh Match Prediction | 14-09-2019 11:30

The two winners of the Round 1B games progress to Round 2B, and joining them in Round 2B is the loser of the Round 1A clash involving the Preliminary Round winners. The losers enter the 'back-door' route, with the two Preliminary Round losers, and three of the four Round 1A losers entering Round 1B. In Round 3, the four teams are drawn in two matches, with the two winners progressing to the Semi-Final stage. As five teams are eligible for Round 1B, one team receives a bye to Round 2B, with the remaining four teams drawn in two matches. At this stage, again, the four teams are drawn in two matches with the two winners progressing to Round 3, where they face the losers of the Round 2A games.

Our second league win of the year came from a victory over Corduff on the 22nd of May. Although the girls trailed at the interval by a goal Truagh stepped up in the second half with Nuala McQuillan finishing with a tally of 1-07 but it was substitute Karen Feely who put the game away when she came off the bench to put one in the back of the net.

Navigation menu

With this confidence boost, Scotstown put together another good attacking move which James Turley was on the end of to shoot for a point. Darren Hughes stepped up to blast the ball to the net and give Scotstown a foothold in the game. With Scotstown finding it hard to settle, Damien Freeman helped himself to another point to put his side two ahead. With six minutes on the clock, the Blues at last got some quality ball in to danger man Kieran Hughes at full forward. Magheracloone won a free just after the throw-in, and it was recent Kick Fada winner Shane Duffy who took the responsibility and knocked the placed ball between the posts to get his side off the mark. On this occasion the Magheracloone defence had no answer but to foul and give up a penalty. The crowd held their breath as it was difficult to tell with the strong breeze whether it was a point or not, but the umpire and referee were in no doubt and gave the score.

Clontibret have started well also but its early days yet. Hopefully a good summer ahead for the club scene aswell as the County team. The championship will be interesting in this league with Maghercloone Donaghmoyne Monaghan Harps all hoping to get their hands on silverware.Ballybay certainly have the strength and depth just seem to crumble when scotstown come near them. Currin will go down (unless they win championship) and blayney seem to be going that way too.Junior is always the same. Yes Maghercloone seem too strong for Intermediate but Monaghan Harps aren't getting away so easy. Anyone is capable of pulling off a shock result.

This was another prestigious first for the club. Hopes were high that we could achieve minor championship, however that team had to settle for a Div 1 League title, which was a great honour in its own right. In 2010 another fine minor team produced some great football. During this very successful period for that age group another Kerley Cup was won in 2010. However there was great disappointment for our senior squad when they were relegated in a very tight league. The following year in 2011 the holy grail at minor level was achieved when our minor squad defeated Clontibret to win the (Minor Championship) for the first time.


From here they reached the All Ireland Final but they unfortunately lost out to Cork in OMoore Park, Portlaoise. They girls were part of the Monaghan Ladies U14 Panel that went onto win the Ulster Championship, overcoming Cavan 3-10 to 4-06 in Tyholland on the 2nd of June 2001. Truagh Ladies has their first County Representatives in Melissa Kerr and Charlene Connolly.

The full time score was Truagh 0-11, Scotstown 2-04. Laura McKenna and Amy Murray kicked a point a piece to extend the lead to three. After half time it was Truagh that opened the scoring with a point from Caoimhe Mohan levelling the game. The Truagh girls kept their cool and with seconds to go Amy Murray put the ball over the bar to win the game. A dangerous lead in any game and this proved to be the case when Scotstown levelled the game with a goal less than a minute from full time. A minute later Truagh took the lead for the first time with another point from Caoimhe Rooney.

A sun-drenched Grattan Park greeted the teams for this Senior League Division One basement battle. Inniskeen pulled one back on 25 minutes, but the momentum was firmly with Scotstown now and Emmett Caulfield got his second score in reply. David McCague levelled matters with his first point of the evening, then Kieran Hughes knocked over two more points as he became a very effective focal point of the Scotstown attack. Kieran Hughes & Brian McGinnity added further points with one in reply from the home team to leave the half-time score at Inniskeen 0-6 Scotstown 0-9. Scotstown didnt panic though, and with an Emmett Caulfield point and a converted Kieran Hughes free they began to play themselves into the game. Scotstown were bolstered by the return of some familiar faces to the starting lineup, and it was one of those, Kieran Hughes, who got Scotstown off the mark with an equalising point. They registered a further three scores in this period to put themselves 0-4 to 0-1 ahead, giving the visitors some cause for concern. Inniskeen were hoping to drag Scotstown back into the battle at the foot of the table after the Blues loss to Castleblayney in their last outing a team the south Monaghan side got a point against recently. The home side started well and got the first point of the game in the opening minutes. Inniskeen continued their good start to the game, belying their lowly status propping up the division.


For the final ten minutes of the game Scotstown closed things out well enough restricting Inniskeen to just a couple more scores while substitutes Sherry & Treanor kept the scoreboard ticking over for the Blues. Scotstown tightened their grip on the game in the third quarter with Kieran Hughes (3), Adrian Carbin & Brian McGinnity adding five points to the scoreboard. Scotstown travelled back north with a comfortable seven point victory and two valuable league points in the bag. It really was a disastrous period for Inniskeen as they had to wait until the 46th minute of the game to get their first second half point.

We tend to look for the negative a lot of the time but the competitive nature of our leagues is something to be proud of and more people should take the time to attend. I think this shows how strong and competitive the club scene in Monaghan is at present. Lots of draws and close games across all three divisions. Surprised there isn't more chat on here after what seemed to be a very exciting opening weekend of fixtures. I wonder did Mal make it to any matches or will he keep up the notion of training matches being more beneficial when they are clearly not with many fringe players on the county panel going backwards in his time in charge due to a lack of competitive game time.

They were able to call on the experience of Nicholas Corrigan who has only recently re-joined the squad after taking a break from the game. Paul Grant got his second point of the game with his trusty left boot. It really was end to end action now, with the sizable crowd really getting their moneys worth. Scotstown management duo Dermot Maguire and Gerard Caulfield chose to make their second substitution of the game at this stage. If Scotstown felt hard done by in not being further ahead at the break, they wasted no time putting that right in the third quarter of the game. Dermot Malone responded with the first Blayney point of the second half, but this was quickly cancelled out when his defence gave up a cheap free under pressure which Emmet Caulfield knocked over the bar. Minutes later Kieran Hughes again gave his marker the slip and made no mistake in finishing to the net for his second goal of the evening. He quickly gained possession, showed the Blayney man a clean pair of heels before fisting the ball over the bar to announce his return to Senior action in style. Brendan McElroy duly obliged to cut the gap down to four points with just a matter of minutes remaining. Scotstown now await the winners of the Truagh v. Ballybay match in the next round. Midway through the half they created a great chance for a goal, but Ciaran Hanratty knocked it over the bar for a point. James Turley became the second Blues player to enter the referees notebook shortly after, but it was mostly positives for Scotstown in this period as forwards Shane Carey and David McCague weighed in with points. One more point was all Blayney could muster, and Scotstown held on for a famous victory over the auld enemy on a score line of Scotstown 2-11 Castleblayney 1-11. Scotstown were now firmly in the driving seat with a seven point advantage. As the referee indicated two minutes of added time, Castleblayney piled on the pressure. Shane Carey went up the field and pointed for the Blues, Blayney went down the other end for another of their own, then Paul Grant struck another for Scotstown. With ten minutes left, there were six points in it. They were unlucky on two separate occasions as one effort went narrowly wide with Blues goalkeeper Maguire beaten, while another effort rattled the woodwork before the Scotstown defence managed to smuggle the ball out of the danger zone. The Faughs needed to up their performance as the match seemed to be slipping away from them. Keith Hill registered another point from a free to bring them back to within five points. Desperate measures were now required for the Faughs and a goal was urgently needed. Corrigan used all of his experience to position himself goal-side of his marker as a high ball came in. He replaced the tiring Kieran Hughes, and it wasnt long before the former County player was in the heart of the action.

Monaghan Intermediate Football Championship

The winners of the Preliminary Round game play each other in Round 1A, making up the fourth game in that round. At this stage, the four teams are drawn in two matches, with the two winners progressing to the Semi-Final stage. Ten teams enter the competition, with four teams drawn into the Preliminary Round and the remaining six teams into Round 1A. The four winners in Round 1A then progress to Round 2A.